Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Joel Connelly on Wasteful Spending

Voter fraud proponent Joel Connelly wrote an article attacking Republicans for wasteful spending. I actually generally agree with that, but he is leaving out an important part of the puzzle, so I sent the Seattle PI the following 'letter to the editor'.

While I agree with Mr. Connelly’s sentiment in the editorial “Passing the hat in the 'GOP Welfare State'”, that we need to watch wasteful “pork barrel” spending. One part of the story that he is leaving out is that when Republican Senator Tom Coburn got up on the floor of the Senate and proposed an amendment to control these types of appropriations, including the famous “bridge to nowhere”, our very own Senator Patty Murray had this to say:

"As the old saying goes: What is good for the goose is good for the gander. And I tell my colleagues, if we start cutting funding for individual projects, your project may be next.

So, Mr. President, when Members come down to the floor to vote on this amendment, they need to know if they support stripping out this project, Senator Bond and I are likely to be taking a long, serious look at their projects to determine whether they should be preserved during our upcoming conference negotiations.

We must not and we will not go down the road of picking on one Senator or another on the floor of the Senate. I urge a no vote on this amendment."

Perhaps if we want to look for the cause of wasteful spending, we should be looking at home.

UPDATE: To his credit Mr. Connelly replied, to an admittedly more sarcastic version of this that I sent him. Hey, I never said I wasn't a smart ass.

Don't get sarcastic and spoil a very, very good argument.
. I've seen oft-reprinted the threats that Sen. Stevens made in the face of the Coburn amendment. This is the first I've seen of Murray's comments.
The quote will be saved, and used.
jc