Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Obama Election Strategy: Diss Granny

Before I get onto Barack Obama's speech, I have to point out the quote of the day, from the Weekly Standard:

All of this suggests a weakness in Obama's character, a shrinking back from principled decisions if they seem too costly. When John McCain challenged his own party on causes that could sink his political career, Obama voted "present" to avoid taking a position on controversial bills in the Illinois senate. During his captivity in Vietnam, McCain refused to denounce the United States or to be released from prison until his fellow soldiers could join him. Obama couldn't find the moxy to stop attending the church of a minister who makes anti-Americanism an indispensable doctrine of his faith.

As far as the speech itself, this part stood out:

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

I am sorry, call me old fashion, but anyone who publicly criticizes their grandmother to score political points, is not going to get my election for dogcatcher, much less president.