Saturday, June 28, 2008

Supreme Court Idiocy

Reading the decisions of Justice Scalia is like reading poetry, with clear, concise, lucid logic. Reading the decisions of Stevens, reminds one more of a parody like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. From the recent decision on the 2nd amendment:

The Court would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons, and to authorize this Court to use the common-law process of case-by-case judicial lawmaking to define the contours of acceptable gun control policy.


Uhh, I am no lawyer, hell I am not even a Supreme Court justice, but wasn't the whole point of the Bill of Rights to limit the power of the government? I seem to remember that from my 7th grade history class. Guess I went to a different school. Oddly enough, Stevens used the exact opposite logic to rule that the Supreme Court's interpretation of the constitution, not the commander in chief, was the ultimate power in deciding how military detainees should be handled. I don't recall him complaining about the constitution tying anyone's hands then.